The state of Native Americans in the twenty-first century

Monday, February 22, 2010

response to Jills blog

I really enjoyed Jill’s blog on music. I had thought, coming in to this reading, that I knew a lot about music; wasn’t it that stuff that you listen too on your iPod? After reading Jill’s reasearch on music, I found music is so much more then something we listen to, but a way of expressing culture, a way to connect with strangers, and of course a method of entertainment to which satisfys millions and millions across the globe. I loved the quote incorperated in one of her slides, “music is what feelings sound like”. I know personally I often feel an emotion which cannot be totally expressed. Then, a song may come on my iPod which almost perfectly defines what I’m feeling. Hearing how I’m feeling always makes me feel better; it’s like I’m finally getting answers. From personal experiances, I know and truly believe in the quote Jill put on her blog, “music is what feelings sound like”. Another conponent of Jill’s blog which I really enjoyed were the videos provided of “We are the World” and a tribute to Micheal Jackson which was preformed at the Emmys. These videos reminded me how at times of terror among our world, music is a conponent which can help spread awarness and raise money. Further, Jill write albums which spread awarness like, “We are the World” show people, “in Hati people care about them, that there is hope”. Jill goes deeper into this idea as she tells us that music can spread awarness for causes but also can display a, “feeling of unity”. Jill tells that the opinions on rap and violence cause a difference of opinon which causes seperation of the unity. Because of this double sided argument, while music may be looked at as an element which brings people together, it may also tear people apart. Jill anaylized music in a way which I had never thought before. I was happy to read her ideas and gain more knowledge on a topic which I had thought I held information of, but clearly had not.

No comments:

Post a Comment